- posted by Burhani Natural Science
- October 29, 2013
Asthma is a condition where respiratory tracks become irritated and inflamed, and produce extra mucus. Breathing becomes difficult due to blockage.
The exact cause of asthma is not very clear. However infections like flu and cold, pollution, chemical reactions, certain medicines, stress, could lead to asthma.
Tightness in your chest, coughing, wheezing, and breathlessness.
- Drink water kept overnight in a copper vessel. This water, with traces of copper in it, is believed to change one’s constitutional tendency to get respiratory problems.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon (dalchini) powder mix it with a little honey and take it every night. It acts like an expectorant in asthma.
- Boil 2-3 flakes garlic (lasan) in ¼ cup of milk and give it to the patient as a cure during the early stages of asthma.
- Chew on a piece of ginger (adrak) all throughout the day to relieve asthma, coughs, cold and sore throats.
- During the attack, mustard oil (sarson ka tel) mixed with a little camphor (kapoor) should be massaged over the back. This will loosen up phlegm and ease breathing.
- Boil carom seeds (ajwain) in water and inhale the steam.
- Add a handful of drumstick leaves (sahijan) to 1 cup water. Boil. Simmer on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Cool and strain. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Drink once or twice everyday.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing), 2 teaspoons honey, ½ teaspoon juice of betel leaf (paan ka patta) and ½ teaspoon white onion juice. Have it 2-3 times a day. To take out juice from betel leaf, crush to a paste and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth. For onion juice, grate the onion and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth.
- A very effective remedy for asthma is prepared by boiling 6 cloves (laung) in 3 tablespoons of water. Take 1 teaspoon of this decoction with a little honey, thrice daily. This is a very good expectorant.
- Mix equal amounts of fresh ginger (adrak) juice, honey and pomegranate (anaar) juice. Take 1 tablespoon, 1-2 times a day.
- Figs (anjeer) are known to drain the phlegm (balgam). Take 3-4 figs, wash them well with warm water. Soak overnight in a cup of water. Eat them first thing in the morning and also drink the water. Do this for at least 2 months.
- Drinking a decoction of the seeds of amla, once or twice a day, proves very beneficial in the treatment of all respiratory disorders including asthma and bronchitis.
Diet for an asthamatic
- Avoid milk, milk products as they cause phlegm and lead to congestion in the lungs.
- Avoid citrus fruits (sour fruits), cold foods, ice-creams and deep fried food.
- Take plenty of fruits and vegetables with a high fibre content e.g. papaya, apples, watermelon.
- Avoid rice for dinner.
- Early dinner is best suited for these people. It ensures complete digestion before retirement.
- One teaspoon honey in a glass of hot water before bed time relaxes the throat by clearing accumulated phlegm in throat.
- Stay away from dusty places and avoid pets, particularly dogs.
Suggested Water Therapy for Asthamatics
First thing in the morning, heat 3-4 glasses of water to which 2-3 teaspoon salt (white rock salt) has been added. Make it as warm as you can drink. Sit on your haunches (hips) with heels on the floor. Press your navel with your thumb/finger and drink this water. Drink as much as you can—so much that it causes vomiting. Vomit out. If not, poke your finger in your throat and vomit out. Do this every morning on an empty stomach for 1-2 months. Your asthma will surely get cured. Pregnant women or breast feeding mothers should not try this.
Asthma in children
Steam serves to be the most effective natural remedy for asthma treatment. Steam may be used to prevent asthma attacks. Taking steam in your room is the best but you can even take hot shower. You can also opt to have boiling water in the bucket, use the towel over head and lean on the bucket with boiling water. You can further add some eucalyptus to the water in order to unblock or clear the mucus and the nasal passages.
Garlic has the natural anti inflammatory properties that help in curing asthma. Garlic even reduces total mucous quantity that is generated in bronchial tubes. Taking 1 to 2 cloves of garlic and chewing them daily can be a great home remedy. Or you can even use garlic juice and add it to some vegetable juice to be consumed on a daily basis.
Roots of bitter gourd have also been used since early times as the treatment to cure asthma. A teaspoon root paste when blended with proper amounts of honey or tulsi juice when consumed for a month serves to be a great natural remedy to cure the disease.
Fig, the fruit that helps to cure various illnesses is even useful to treat asthma. The figs make asthma patient feel good as they help to deplete the phlegm. You can clean around 2 to 3 figs properly using lukewarm water and then soak them in the water overnight to be consumed as first thing when you wake up the next morning.
Probiotics like kefir, fermented vegetables and yogurt are highly useful for the asthma patients and serves as a great natural remedy for asthma. The disease is an auto immune one and so through boosting the immunity by ingestion of the probiotics, one can enjoy great relief from the problem of asthma.
Honey too boosts immunity and thus it helps to avoid the asthma attacks. When a patient faces asthma attack, he or she can breathe in honey vapors or take a teaspoon honey to alleviate the attack.