Natural Treatment for Autism
What Is Autism?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, Autism is a disorder that affects nearly 1 in 88 children in the United States. Admittedly a relatively common disorder, Autism is known as a complex developmental disability that typically manifests during the first three years of a child’s life. The result of a neurological disorder, Autism affects the functioning of the brain, which in turn disturbs the typical development of communication and social skills.
Also known as Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ASD for short, this disorder presents as a widely varying disorder along a wide-spectrum. As such, no two individuals with the disorder display the exact same symptoms at the same level of severity; however, many individuals display similar behaviors at different levels of intensity. Common behaviors associated with ASD include underdeveloped social skills, limited ability to empathize, aversion to physical contact, sensitivity to stimuli, speech and language disorders, repetitive behavior.
Natural Treatment for Autism
As Autism is a pervasive disorder that affects many different aspects of the individual, a holistic treatment plan that addresses the whole individual is important. A clinician can offer suggestions as to what medical treatment options are available and most effective, but natural treatment methods are also beneficial. A gluten and sugar-free diet has proven effective for many individuals. Additional dietary supplements can also help mediate symptoms. Common supplements include vitamin C, cilantro, garlic, turmeric, and cold pressed flax seed oil.
Just as no two individuals experience Autism in the same way, individuals typically do not respond to the same treatments. In any case, monitoring dietary changes and observing behavioral responses is a good way to begin an effective treatment plan.
Heal the Gut
- Get your child tested for other food allergens and eliminate them from his diet. Most often gluten is a culprit, but there are plenty of others.
- Use anti-fungal supplements to get rid of yeast overgrowth.
- Supplement with Probiotics to restore healthy bacteria and Digestive Enzymes to help aid digestion.
Improve Nutrition & Replace Missing Nutrients
- Have your child eat only real, whole, organic, unprocessed, chemical, hormone and antibiotic free food. No trans fats, no high fructose corn syrup, no pesticides, no GMO’s, no canned, processed or food in boxes.
I’m not going to lie, this is going to be very difficult and more expensive then crap in a box – because the agricultural revolution has made it nearly impossible to find healthy whole food in our markets. Especially because it starts with the soil that has been compromised and the treatment of animals that has also been compromised. So, even if you’re eating organic, it’s best but may not be 100% pure.
- Plant foods should be the foundation of your diet. Eat only vegetables, fruits, beans, seeds, nuts, whole grains, herbs and spices and organic fish, chicken & eggs.
Supplement with this list of nutrients your child is most likely deficient in (testing is always a smart idea).
- Vitamin B6 & B12
- Vitamin A, C & D
- Essential Fatty Acid
Diseases and health conditions are most often related to toxicity. When toxic waste builds up in our body, we get sick. Everyday toxins along with the vaccines are no help to autistic children. You need to rid their bodies of heavy metals and other toxins as well.
- Give your child a heavy metal detox supplement. (Talk to your doctor to find the best one).
- Drink plenty of clean, unfluoridated water, at least eight to ten glasses of reverse osmosis water a day. Learn more on the Truth About Fluoride.
- Keep the bowels moving at least twice a day – if you need support, flax seeds are good and also provide the healthy omega 3′s that are needed.
- Exercise or find another way to sweat profusely at least three times a week. You could try using a sauna, steam or detox bath along with exercise.
- Massage and relaxation exercises every day to get the nervous system in a state of calm, rest.