Ginger root, which is used to cure vomiting, can also be used in the treatment of back pain. The anti-inflammatory compounds in ginger can give you relief from a backache.
- Apply some ginger paste on the affected area, followed by eucalyptus oil.
- Cut thin slices of fresh ginger root and put them in a pan of boiling water. Simmer and boil it on low heat for about 30 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and strain it. Add honey and then drink it.
- You can also make an herbal tea with one-half teaspoon of black pepper corns, one-half teaspoon of cloves and one teaspoon of ginger powder.
2. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves can also come to your rescue when suffering from a backache.
- Add 8 to 10 basil leaves to one cup of water and boil it until the water is evaporates to half. Let it cool to room temperature and then add a pinch of salt.
- For mild pain, drink this concoction once daily; for severe pain, do that twice a day.
4. Herbal Oil
Massaging your back with an herbal oil can help your muscles relax and relieve pain. You can use any herbal oil such as eucalyptus oil, almond oil, olive oil or coconut oil. Heat the oil until warm and massage it gently over the aching area.
Garlic is another ingredient that can help treat a backache. Simply eat two to three cloves of garlic every morning on empty stomach. You can also massage your back with garlic oil.
- To make garlic oil, heat some coconut oil, mustard oil or sesame oil on low heat and then add 8 to 10 cloves of garlic to it. Fry the garlic until it is brown. Strain the oil and let it cool to room temperature.
- Massage your back gently with the oil. Leave it on for some time and then take a bath in warm water.
Wheat has compounds that produce an analgesic effect that can help minimize pain.
- Soak a handful of wheat in water overnight.
- In the morning, mix in cuscus grass and coriander. Then add one cup of milk and boil it for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Drink the mixture twice daily.
7. Ice Packs
Cold compresses made with ice are effective in reducing pain and swelling. If ice is not available, you can also use a bag of frozen vegetables.
- Put a bowl of crushed ice in a plastic bag and wrap it in a towel. Put the compress on the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this repeatedly, waiting half an hour between each application.
You can also apply hot compresses to reduce backache.
8. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can ease pain and relieve inflammation.
- Mix Epsom salt with hot water to make a thick paste. Soak a towel in it and ring out any excess liquid from the towel. Put it on your back near and around the aching area. The heat from the towel will also reduce anyswelling.
- You can also add two cups of Epsom salt to your bathwater and soak your body in it for half an hour.
9. Chamomile Tea
A hot cup of chamomile tea will help relax tense muscle tissues that can be the cause or a related symptom of a backache. You can buy pre-packaged chamomile tea or make your own.
- Add one tablespoon of chamomile flowers to one cup of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink one to three cups daily.
Milk is a rich source of calcium that your body needs for strong bones and healthy muscles. Ensuring that your body gets an adequate amount of calcium can help alleviate and prevent backaches.
- Drink milk regularly. You can add some honey to sweeten it.
- You can also make a mixture of cuscus grass and sugar in equal amounts and consume it twice daily with a cup of warm milk.