1. Baking Soda
Baking soda can help control the itchiness and irritation from chickenpox.
- Stir one-half tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Use a sponge to put the solution on the affected parts of the body. Allow the mixture to dry on the body.
2. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, also known as margosa or neem is useful in the treatment of chicken pox as it has antiviral properties. Furthermore, it helps dry out the blisters and relieves itching to a great extent. Take a handful of neem leaves, crush them and apply the paste on the affected areas. Adding neem leaves in bath water is also beneficial.
3. Carrot and Coriander
A soup made of carrots and coriander is highly beneficial in the treatment of chickenpox.
- Cut 100 grams of carrots to get about a cup of chopped carrots and chop 60 grams or one and a half cup of fresh coriander leaves and boil them in water for a few minutes. Strain the solution and allow it to cool down.
- Drink the soup once a day for about a month. You can also eat the boiled carrots and coriander leaves for added strength.
An oatmeal bath is a popular home remedy for itchiness caused by chickenpox.
- Grind two cups of oatmeal into a fine powder. Put the powdered oatmeal in two litres (half gallon) of water and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a cloth bag and close it securely. Drop the bag into a tub of warm water and swirl it around until the water becomes milky in color.
- Soak in the bathwater for some time to get relief from the itchiness.
5. Brown Vinegar
One of the most effective remedies for treating chicken pox is brown vinegar. It will relieve skin irritation and help heal the lesions and prevent scarring. Simply add one-half cup of brown vinegar to lukewarm bathwater, and soak in the bath for some time.
Honey will provide relief from itchiness and help heal the chickenpox within a few days.
- Get a good quality, pure honey and coat the affected area with it.
- Repeat the process two to three times a day until the scars are gone.
7. Herbal Tea
You can also try mild and sedative herbal tea made from herbs such as chamomile, holy basil, marigold and lemon balm.
- Put one tablespoon of any of these herbs in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes and then strain it.
- Add a little cinnamon, honey and lemon and sip the teaslowly.
- Drink this herbal tea several times a day for best results.
8. Sandalwood Oil
You can also use sandalwood oil to treat the various symptoms of chickenpox. Simply apply pure sandalwood oil on the rashes. Do this regularly until all the sores and scars heal completely. You can also try vitamin E oil instead of sandalwood oil.
To stop the itching and speed up the healing process, try ginger.
- Put ginger powder in your warm bathwater. You can repeat this remedy as often as you want.
- You can also make a healthy drink. Boil small chunks of ginger in water for a few minutes. Strain the solution and drink it.
10. Marigold Flower
Marigold flowers can also be used to relieve itching.
- Mix two tablespoons of marigold flowers with one teaspoon of hazel leaves. Put the mixture in a cup of water and let it sit overnight.
- In the morning, grind the mixture thoroughly.
- Apply the paste directly on the rashes.