Garlic’s antiseptic properties can bevery helpful in getting rid of cold symptoms. Garlic is good for the immune system and helps open up respiratory passages, and also helps flush toxins out of your body.
- Mix together one crushed garlic clove, two teaspoons lemon juice, one teaspoon honey, and half a teaspoon cayenne pepper or red chilli powder.
- Consume it daily until the symptoms subside.
Honey can be of great help in soothing an irritated throat as well as shortening the lifespan of a cold. The high amount of nutrients and enzymes in honey help kill bacteria and viruses that cause colds.
- The simplest home remedy is to consume a mixture of one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey. Take it every two hours to get immense relief from your cold and sore throat.
- If you prefer, you can simply swallow a spoonful of raw honey.
3. Spice Tea
Spice tea is highly beneficial in getting rid of common cold.
- Dry roast and grind a quarter cup of coriander seeds, one and a half tablespoons each of cumin and fennel seeds, and a quarter teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
- Now, boil a cup of water.
- Add one and a half tablespoon of this spice powder and one and a half teaspoon of rock candy (misri).
- Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of milk.
- Bring the solution to a boil and then strain it.
- Sip it slowly.
Many forms of ginger can be helpful in treating symptoms of a common cold.
- You can eat raw ginger or drink ginger tea several times a day.
- You can make a paste of ginger, cloves and salt and eat it two times a day.
- For a runny nose,you can mix ginger powder with old Jaggery, a natural sweetener.
5. Chicken Soup
Chicken soup has many essential nutrients and vitamins that help treat common cold symptoms. The high antioxidant properties in chicken soup speed up the healing process. In addition, it will restore some strength to your weary body. For best results, make homemade chicken soup using organic vegetables and chicken.
6. Red Onion
Those suffering from a cold can get relief from homemade red onion syrup. To make the syrup, you will need red onions and honey or brown sugar.
- Slice two to three red onions horizontally. Put one slice of onion in a bowl and add raw honey. Repeat the process until the bowl is full.
- Cover the bowl and leave it for 12 to 15 hours. When you open the bowl, there will be thick liquid like syrup.
- Drink a spoonful of the syrup twice a day to get relief from sore throats and other symptoms of a cold.
Pepper is one of the most readily available natural treatments for various symptoms of a common cold. The capsaicin present in pepper helps thin the mucus and provide relief from congestion in your lungs.
- If you are suffering from a runny nose, put pepper on your food when you eata meal. You can also gargle with pepper and hot water.
- If you cannot eat or drink pepper, you can still benefit from smelling pepper throughout the day.
Milk helps treat coughing as well as other symptoms of a cold, like body aches and a headache.
- Boil milk and add one-half teaspoon of turmeric power and one-half tablespoon of ginger powder (you can also use fresh ginger).
- Allow the milk to cool to room temperature so that you can drink it without burning your mouth. Try to drink it two times a day and especially before going to sleep.
9. Mullein Tea
You can help cure cold by drinking plenty of fluids and nothing can be better than a hot cup of mullein tea. Mullein tea can relieve chest congestion that often accompanies a cold.
- To make mullein tea, fill a strainer with dried mullein herb and place it in boiling water for five to 10 minutes.
- Add a little honey to one cup of the hot water and drink it.You can also drink regular or green tea to treat symptoms of a cold.
Cinnamon is rich with effective healing properties that can help ease the pain of a dry or sore throat.
- Mix a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon in a glass of water and boil it. Drink the when it is still warm. For best results, you can add some pepper and honey.
- If you prefer, you can simply swallow a few drops of cinnamon oil.