Frozen Shoulder – pain relief
Stand a couple of feet away from the corner of a table, facing the table with legs slightly more than shoulder width apart. Put the hand of your ‘good arm’ on the corner of the table and lean forward so it supports your body weight, and so that the hand of your ‘bad’ arm (the one with the frozen shoulder) is hanging down. Let your bad arm just hang there. Do NOT swing your bad arm. GENTLY rotate your hips and upper body in a circular motion, similar to hula hooping in slow motion. (see Fig 1) You will notice that your hanging arm also rotates very gently in the same direction. Allow your hanging arm to move naturally. After a few rotations (between 10 and 20) pause for a few seconds, then rotate the hips and body in the opposite direction a similar number of times.
If the above exercise is very painful, or increases your pain, STOP immediately. It isn’t working for you. If the exercise doesn’t increase your pain, try repeating it after 15 minutes. If you find it relieves the pain, then the next time your shoulder is painful repeat the exercise. After doing the exercise a few times try doubling the number of rotations to see if this increases the period of relief.
There are many home remedies for frozen shoulder which are easy to follow and safe to use at home. Some of the popular home remedies are:
1. One of the effective home remedies for frozen shoulder is to do some stretching. It will increase your range of motion.
2. Heat pack is also considered to be one of the efficient home remedies. It helps in making the stiff joints and muscles loose as well as reduce pain. All you need to do is apply a hot compress on the affected region for fifteen minutes. Follow this process three to six times a day.
3. Take some mustard oil and heat it in a pan. Now take three to four cloves of garlic. Crush these garlic cloves and put them in the pan and wait till they turn dark brown. Allow this mixture to cool down a little bit. Massage your shoulder with this warm oil. It will reduce the pain caused by this problem.
4. Black sesame seeds are very effective in giving relief from the pain. All you need to do is take a spoonful of black sesame seeds and soak them in water. Allow it to steep overnight and the next morning you can consume these seeds along with the water.
5. You can even try acupuncture which is basically a pain killing procedure.
6. Along the front of the body cross your arms. Now with the help of other arm try to press affected arm towards the chest. Practice this procedure for thirty seconds two times in a day. This procedure is very effective in improving the range of motion of your arm. It will also prevent any further stiffness.
7. Eat warm and fresh meals only. Consume hot soups made with pulses, lentils or meat with dash of long pepper, powdered ginger and black pepper.
8. Do not eat spicy, fried, pungent and oily foods.
9. Consume ghee and oils in moderate amount in meals. They will be very helpful in lubricating the dried and wasted joints of the shoulder.