Natural Hair Straightening Tips &
Straight hair is known for its glossy and slick appearance, and as a result, it enhances the visual appeal of a person. Straight hair is popular with both men and women; however, not many people are blessed with naturally straight hair, and often turn to chemical treatments to get the desired result. The finished look and the immediate results of salon-treated hair are the main reasons why people opt for the straightening treatment.
Nonetheless, the harsh chemicals and the heated straightening irons, used over and over during the treatment, damage the hair significantly. Moreover, the cost and the extensive maintenance routine may act as a dampener for some.
Techniques and Home Remedies
There are some very effective tips, techniques and home remedies that help in controlling frizz and straightening the tresses naturally. Home remedies may not provide as impressive results as the salon treatment methods, but they score on cost effectiveness and are completely damage free. Some efficient home remedies for straight hair are as follows.
- Splash milk on the hair using a spray bottle. Distribute the milk evenly through the hair using a comb. Rinse the hair after 30 minutes. Milk protein fortifies the hair shafts making them smooth and frizz free. This works well for people with curly hair.
- Regular hot oil massage conditions the hair and removes frizz. Oil treatments make hair appear straight and glossy.
- Apply warm olive or coconut oil on the hair and scalp. Cover the hair with a warm towel and allow it to soak in for 30 minutes. Wash the hair and comb hair whilst wet. Repeat the process at least thrice a week.
- Castor oil is also helpful in straightening the hair.
- Coconut milk contains nutrients that are believed to straighten the hair. Use coconut milk as a last rinse after every hair wash. Leave the milk on the hair for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off.
- Mix in the juice of one lemon into a cup of coconut milk and refrigerate the mixture for 15 to 30 minutes or until a creamy film is formed. Apply the mix on the hair for 30 minutes and rinse off.
- Make a paste of one egg white, one cup of fuller’s earth, and five teaspoons of rice flour. Apply the mix on the hair and comb through. Leave the mask on the hair for one hour and wash off with a mild shampoo. Use this mask once a week for few months.
- Make a paste of two mashed bananas and two tablespoons each of natural yoghurt, honey, and olive oil. Add in one egg white. Apply the mask to the hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes and wash off.
- Mix half cup of warm oil (olive, coconut, and castor) with half cup of aloe vera gel. Mix in six drops of essential oil like rosemary and sandalwood. Massage the mixture into the hair and scalp and wash off after 1 to 2 hours.
- Condition the hair properly after every wash. There are some great conditioners available that control the frizz and relax the hair.
- Moisturize the hair with herbs. Some herbs such as chamomile, rose geranium, rose, lavender, cedar wood, calendula, burdock, and sandalwood soften the hair cuticle and straighten the hair. Make an herb infusion by boiling five teaspoons of above mentioned herbs in two cups of water. Mix in a tablespoon of vinegar and use the infusion on the hair in place of the conditioner. Do not wash out.
- It is also important that you pay careful attention to the health of your hair. Therefore following a proper diet, drinking plenty of water and also protecting the hair from excessive sun exposure is important.
Home treatments give excellent results, if done regularly. These remedies relax the hair shaft and smooth curls and waves. The result is a straighter, healthier, and shinier mane without any extra cost or damage