Involuntary shaking of hands is known as hand tremors. It can be noticed while holding objects, writing, and doing other daily activities. Fatigue, smoking, anger, and fear are common causes of hand tremors. There are three types of hand tremors that can occur: static tremor, kinetic tremor, and postural tremor. You experience static or resting tremor when the hand is at rest, whereas kinetic or intention tremor occurs while moving the hand. Kinetic tremor will stop when the hand is at rest. If a tremor occurs when the hand stays in a same position for some time like holding things, postural or action tremor occurs.
Hand tremors can occur due to different causes including the following:
- Disease like Parkinson’s, peripheral neuropathy, dystonia, hyperthyroidism, hypoglycemia, multiple sclerosis, stroke, and brain tumors
- Mental health disorders
- Physical exhaustion
- Alcoholism and alcohol withdrawal
- Addiction of drugs such as cocaine
- General aging
- Side effects of certain medications like antidepressants
- Withdrawal of certain medications like benzodiazepine
Shaking of the hand visibly at rest or while performing an action is the main symptom of a hand tremor. Other symptoms vary depending on the underlying cause. Some of the other possible symptoms include the following:
- Frequent urination
- Numbness or tingling
- Impaired balance and coordination
- Shuffling gait
- Stooped posture
- Unexplained weight loss
- Vision problem
Hand tremors are often observed in elderly. A hand tremor is not a healthy sign and should be addressed immediately as it could be a sign of the underlying disorder. Depending on the age and medical history, diagnostic tests may be performed to find the underlying cause.
Treatment for a hand tremor completely depends on the underlying cause. If it is an indication of serious disorder, it should be addressed immediately. Or else, simple home remedies can be applied to alleviate the symptom. Given below are some of home remedies that can help to stop uncontrollable shaking.
- If the cause of the hand tremor is stress, relaxation techniques help to treat them. Meditation, yoga, and deep breathing can help to reduce hand tremors caused by fear, stress, depression, anxiety, etc.
- Hand tremor caused by alcoholism can be treated by limiting the alcohol intake.
- Caffeine beverages stimulate muscle movements and nerve functions. Avoiding caffeine beverages can minimize tremor in the hands.
- Physiotherapy helps to obtain muscle coordination and is very effective in controlling hand tremors.
- Arms and hand muscles can be strengthened by doing mild weight lifting.
- If hand tremor is the side effect of medications, one should consult a physician and not stop the medicine on their own.
- Herbal teas are effective home remedies to reduce stress and calm the mind and body. Chamomile, clove spice, orange, wild thyme, and lavandula are some of useful herbs that can help to control tremors.
- Aromatherapy using essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender, and chamomile can enhance both physical and mental wellness.
- Since fatigue can worsen tremors, rest is vital to control the symptoms. Seven hours of sound sleep at night is essential to have a healthy body.
Hand tremors are not a life-threatening issue or not a medical emergency. However, frequent tremor can affect the quality of life, and addressing the issue with the help of a health professional is ideal.