|Guggul can be found everywhere in India. Guggul is a very valuable herbal medicine. It is widely used for obesity and cholesterol. It is also known as fat burning agent all over the world. Guggul is a very important and trustworthy herb in ayurvedic medicine. Basically it is used almost in every kind of illness due to its amazing treating power.It is one of the oldest and most famous herbs in ayurvedic medicine. Guggul contains strong purifying and rejuvenating properties and its lipid regulating. Guggulu known as ushan virya herb i.e. it has hot potency, therefore has a killer nature of the diseases cause by vata dosha prominence. But its effects are also seen in suppressing all the three aggravated dosha therefore it works as tridosha suppressant. Guggul gets these properties as it contains tickt and katu rasa. Guggul is only used after purification (shudhikar) in milk; it should never be used in raw form. Though there are seen no serious side effects of guggul but sometime prolonged use may be associated with mild stomach upset. It may stimulate the thyroid and uterus, so it is best to avoid in cases of hyperthyroidism and pregnancy. Guggul can cause some side effect in some people like- anorexia, abdominal pain, skin rash and diarrhea. But modern extracts are more purified and fewer side effects have been reported with long-term use.The usase and benefits of Guggul, An Ayurvedic Herbal:
- Guggul is used in reducing fat levels from body and used as anti obesity agent since centuries.
- It works as rasayan i.e. used in promoting youth ness with long life.
- It relaxes the muscles which helps relieve menstrual pain.
- It has been very dominantly used in arthritic pains. It also possesses the property that helps in reversing the degenerative changes that has occurred in joint and bones.
- It helps in relieving pain and swelling, it is believed in strengthening nervous system of the body due to this property.
- Guggulu has properties, which is indicated in hypertension.
- In lowering blood pressure levels and maintaining it to normal levels Guggul plays a very important role.
- It acts as blood purifier therefore it is used in skin diseases.
- Guggul also known as heart tonic that strengthens the heart.
- Guggul also works in strengthening our digestive system.
- It is also known for improving our immune system; its good results are seen in leprosy and eczema.
- Guggulu water is widely used to gargle to get relieve from tonsillitis, mouth ulcers, upper respiratory tract infection and throat irritation etc.
- Guggul increased HDL cholesterol, which is needed by the body and lowers LDL cholesterol.
- It is seen helpful in upper respiratory tract infection as it works as expectorant by helping in suppressing kapha dosha, which is the main culprit in causing wet cough.
- Guggul helps in relieving pain and swelling, due to this property it is also believed in strengthening nervous system of the body.
View of Yoga for Nutrition
Yoga’s principles of nutrition are parallel to what modern science has discovered in more recent times. The basic principle of nutrition, from the yoga perspective, is to eat small quantities of high quality foods. The high quality foods are those, which promote the life force of the body without producing toxins. The recommended foods are fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts:
1. Meat: The basic principle of yoga about nutrition advises that meat should be eaten very carefully. As all yogis are not vegetarian but they all recommend taking meat under control. Because meat is animal’s flash and also contains toxins, especially lactic acid, which is a waste product of muscle metabolism. We now know that meat contain fat, cholesterol and other substances that are toxic to our bodies. Thus the advice to eat meat in moderation is certainly well taken.
2. Fruit: Fruits possess the highest life force and they are very nutritious also so they are regarded best food supplements according to yoga. They can be eaten raw or unprocessed and are easily digested. It provides a quick and sustained source of energy with no toxins. It is no wonder the yogis favor fruit.
3. Vegetables: Fresh green vegetables should be taken mostly as they are the best nutrition products. The yogis consider the green vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and so on, to have the highest life force of all vegetables.
4. Fresh Food: Food should be taken when it is fresh. Yoga also stresses that food should be as fresh as possible. Fresh vegetables and food are best in comparison with frozen or canned foods. Though frozen food is not so bad, but since the enzymes are preserved, but canned food has been preheated, which destroys a lot of the vitamins and minerals and the enzymes.
5. Raw Food: If it is possible for you take food in raw form because yogis state that the greater proportion of our food should be eaten raw like: fruits, salad, raw nuts and sprouted grains. As cooking of food causes it to lose a lot of its life force, as well as its flavor. Modern science also is in complete agreement with this view.
6. Food Temperature: Food should be neither too hot nor too cold according to yogis. Reason behind this is: very hot or very cold food or drinks can cause harm to the tissue of the throat. Modern science also agrees with this and considers that food and beverages, which are too hot or cold, may irritate the throat sufficiently to predispose it to cancer. So take your food under appropriate temperature.
7. Alcohol: Alcohol should always be avoided as affect on the central nervous system, and in particular the brain. The integrity of the central nervous system is considered very important by the yogis, since one of the goals of yoga is to improve the health of this system, and much of the progress of yoga is achieved via this vital communication. Modern science agrees with yoga on this point, since alcohol is known to first stimulate and then shortly afterwards depress the central nervous system.
8. Eat Slowly: Always take your food slowly. It is more important than on the type of food eaten. Yogis claim that even nutritious food is not properly digested if eaten quickly. Food taken fast creates toxins in the body. Even if you eat food, which is not very nutritious, if it is eaten slowly and your digestive system is in good health from yoga exercises, your body will extract every last nutrient from the food, as well as eliminating all the toxins. So start eating and chewing food slowly from now for a better health.