- The quality of food taken by a person determines his/her health including that of his/her eyes. Easily digestible foods, rich in fiber should be taken. A diet rich in whole grain cereals, sprouted pulses, fresh vegetables and fruits will guarantee a healthy eyesight.
- Food should be well digested before going to sleep. One should go to sleep only after 3 hours of eating.
- Regular intake of ghee and buttermilk is advised.
- Two to three liters of water is to be consumed to keep the body and eyes hydrated.
- Eyes should be washed regularly with clean and natural water.
- Eyes must be protected when traveling to avoid direct wind pressure, sunlight, dust, heat.
- Direct exposure to hot or cold winds must be avoided.
- It is not advisable to gaze continuously for a long time at an object or at work.
- Lukewarm or cold water must be used for showering.
- Regular passing of bowel is important.
- Reading in the correct posture(sitting upright)with proper lighting on the reading material.
- Sleeping with many pillows is not good for the eyes.
- Eye exercises have a major role in maintaining healthy eye sight.
- Regular eye blinking, palming is recommended to keep the eyes moist and clean.
- Practice of yoga and pranayama helps in circulation.
- Proper sleep is very important to maintain eye health. At least 6 to 8 hours of sleep is necessary
- Triphala powder soaked overnight in warm water and used as a eyewash in the morning after straining the water helps to keep the eyes clean and cool.
- A slice of aloe or cotton dipped in pure rose water on the eye lids keeps the eyes cool and fresh.
- Application of pure ‘kajal’ helps to remove excessive kapha, and improves vision.
- A shampoo applied on the head by crushing and soaking hibiscus flowers and leaves in water (for about 2 hours) will ensure a relaxed feeling.
Soak a teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds in a cup of water overnight. Strain and use the water to wash eyes regularly to soothe tired, sore eyes. This also removes unwanted dirt.
- Castor oil and coconut oil can be mixed in equal proportions and applied on the head regularly, followed by a gentle massage. This will keep the eyes cool.
- Application of a drop of pure cold pressed coconut oil on each eye will prevent dryness and reddening of the eyes.
- Massaging the soles with cold pressed sesame oil before going to bed is useful in case of pain and reddening of eyes, insomnia.
- Massaging the closed eyelids with pure ghee or cold pressed sesame oil will guarantee good rest.
- Ayurvedic cleansing and rejuvenating therapies like nasya, shirodhara, akshidhara can also be done regularly under medical supervision.
- Hip bath or tub bath is also advised to improve circulation