Tips To Increase Fertility
Ovulation refers to that time of reproductive cycle in females where an ovum or egg is released by ovarian follicles and travels through the fallopian tubes towards the uterus, where it is available for fertilization. The process is governed by the hypothalamus using hormones that are released by the pituitary gland, more specifically the luteinizing hormone (LH) as also the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH).
The secretion of FSH acts as a trigger for ovulation, causing the ovarian follicle and the ovum to increase in size. While the size of an immature ovum varies from woman to woman, the spike in FSH and LH levels increase the egg size in women from an average of 60 microns to up to three times that amount.
After the ovum has matured it is released through a rupture or hole in the follicle known as the stigma, from where it begins its journey through the fallopian tubes on to the uterus. If fertilized by a sperm, the fertilized egg will get implanted in the uterus resulting in pregnancy.
If the follicle ruptures when it is too small, the ovum may be immature and there will be no conception. There are however, ways to safeguard against that and to increase the follicle size with the help of diet.
Tips for Ovulation
Diet plays an important role in all aspects of health and it is no different in the case of a woman’s ovulation cycle. Several problems pertaining to ovulation can be resolved by dietary changes that incorporate foods that are good for ovulation and minimizes intake of foods that may cause hormonal imbalances. Healthcare professionals have noticed a high correlation between a woman’s body mass index or BMI and her ability to conceive. Women whose BMI falls outside the healthy range of 20 to 24.99 have a higher chance of experiencing fertility issues and need to exercise and go on a diet to increase their chances of conceiving.
- When considering a diet to increase fertility, what not to eat is as important as what to eat. For women who are overweight, reducing BMI means eliminating high calorie and fatty foods from their diet. Others will have to incorporate special foods into their diets that will help them maintain a healthy weight as well as increase their fertility
- Foods that should be a part of the diet include green leafy vegetables such as spinach and broccoli, fresh fruits including plenty of citrus fruits, low fat dairy products, whole grains such as oatmeal and cereals, beans, lentils and legumes.
- In addition to this there are a few herbs that can be imbibed which may help increase fertility. Herbs such as Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus) may help to stimulate the pituitary gland and help balance hormonal levels. ther herbs that help improve hormonal balance and functioning include Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosis) and Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa).
- Foods that may affect fertility levels and should be avoided include sugary foods such as cakes, desserts and soda pop, fatty foods such as beef, foods containing trans-fats, fried foods, spicy foods, refined foods such as polished rice and refined flour, alcohol and caffeinated beverages. Intake of sodium as well as animal proteins should be limited.
- A very effective remedy for female sterility is cooking eggplant and eating it with buttermilk. If done strictly for at least a month, it will help to increase fertility.
- A soothing hip bath is also helpful. Soak the lower part of your body up to your navel in a warm bath tub and relax for about 20 minutes. You can also add essential oils and take a relaxing bath.
- The herb winter cherry is also very effective in female sterility. Powder the herb and take 5 gm of it with a cup of milk for a week after menstruation.
- Also, to improve fertility, women should avoid excessive fatty and spicy food. In addition to this, nicotine, excess caffeine, white flour, refined cereals, and red meat should be avoided as much as possible.
- Improving internal circulation in the genital organs and relieving inflammation and other aberration also helps in improving the size of ovum. Apply mud packs to the genital area and abdomen. You can also make use of wet girdle pack, for which wear thin underwear wrung in cold water.
- Wearing a thick and dry cotton or woolen underwear over the cold thin underwear also helps. However, do not try these mudpack and girdle treatments during menstruation.
- In the case of men, keeping healthy through diet and exercise is important to improve their fertility and increase sperm count.
- Other steps to increase fertility include taking a prenatal vitamin supplement, drinking adequate amounts of water, getting enough sleep and keeping fit through regular exercise. Certain yoga poses or asanas are reputed to increase fertility in women. Consider joining a prenatal yoga class under the guidance of an experienced yoga instructor.
While these dietary recommendations may help to increase fertility, they are not infallible. Consult your doctor before attempting and of these dietary changes.