Family Name: Valerianaceae
Species: N. grandiflora
Popular Name(s): Muskroot, Indian Spikenard, Jatamanshi, Jatamashi, Balchar, Nard, Nardin.
Parts Used: Rhizome, Rhizome Oil
Habitat: Found in India, Nepal and Bhutan
Jatamamsi is a perennial herb that is propagated by cuttings of the underground parts. The plant grows to a height ranging from 10 to 60 cm and has stout and long woody root stocks. The long, sessile and oblong-ovate leaves are 15 to 20 cm in length. While the flowers are rosy, slightly pink or blue in dense cymes and one, two or five in number, the rhizomes are thick, fragrant and covered with brown fibers. The plant bears 1/3-inch long fruits that are oval in shape and have a sharp apex. Jatamamsi grows in the Alpine Himalayas, at an altitude of 3000-5000 meters and is cultivated in areas ranging from Punjab to Sikkim and Bhutan. The herb is known as jatamamsi in Hindi, Sanskrit and Gujarati.
(+)- volatile essential oil, resin, sugar, starch, bitter extractive matter, gum, ketone, jatamansone, jatamansic acid, jatamansone semicarbazone, lupeol, malliene, calarene, terpenic coumarin – jatamansin, oroselol, dietheniod bicyclic ketone – nardostachone, sesquiterpene ketone – jatamansone.
Uses & Benefits of Jatamamsi
- It is a well-known brain tonic and imparts a sense of calm and peace to mind.
- The herb is mixed with cold water to form a paste and reduce burning sensation, inflammation, pain and improving skin texture.
- Since it is fragrant, jatamamsi powder is used as a deodorant in case of excessive sweating.
- The powder also helps in treating mental retardation and mental disorders, regularizing digestion in the body, regularizing respiratory tract and suppressing general body weakness.
- The decoction of the herb is poured on the affected areas in ailments associated with burning and in erysipelas.
- The medicated jatamamsi oil is extremely beneficial for smooth, silky and healthy hair.
- Jatamamsi is useful for urine-related problems and maintaining the circulatory system.
- The herb increases appetite, relieves the phlegm in cough and asthma, proves useful in hepatitis and treats enlargement of the liver.
- It is used as an adjunct in the treatment of sexual debility and impotence.
- Jatamamsi relieves symptoms like vertigo, seizures etc. in fever.
- Since it exerts a cleansing effect on the uterus, it is used in menstrual ailments like dysmenorrheal and inflammation of the uterus.
- The herb stops fermentation and gas in the stomach.
- Jatamamsi is considered as one of the best herbs for treating epilepsy.
- It reduces hyperactivity, restlessness and aggressiveness in hyperactive children.
Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi)
Jatamansi is very famous herb in Ayurveda to battle against the effects of day to day stress.
Jatamansi one an active Principle of Jatamansi reduces hyperactivity, restlessness and aggressiveness in hyperactive children.
Jatamansi Powder is used as antispasmodic, digestive stimulant, diuretic, deals in nervous disorders. It is also helpful in epilepsy, gastric problems, heart palpitation, Jaundice, respiratory problems, skin problems, seminal debility.
Rasa (Taste): Bitter, Astringent, Sweet
Guna (Characteristics): Light, Unctuous
Virya (Potency): Cool, Calm
Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Pungent
Effects on Tridoshas (Humor): Pacifies all the three doshas.
Chemical Composition: These are Jatamansi one, Jatamanshic acid, Virolin.
Action and Uses as per Ayurveda: Tonic to circulatory, nervous, digestive, respiratory, reproductive systems. Aromatic, antispasmodic, diuretic, carminative, deobstruent, kidney stones, jaundice, removes blood impurities, spasmodic, hysteria and other nervous, convulsive ailments (nervousness, anxiety, dysmenorrhea, insomnia). It helps to ease heart palpitations, headache, flatulence, epilepsy and convulsions. It can be used for bronchitis, asthma, jaundice, antispasmodic.
Usage of Jatamansi
- Depression: Ayurveda recommends use of several herbs for the treatment of depression. For the treatment of Depression use mixture of four Ayurvedic herbal Powders:
- Shatavari – 5 teaspoons
- Brahmi – 3 teaspoons
- Guduchi – 5 teaspoons
- Jatamansi – 3 teaspoons
Mix these Powders, add ½ cup of water to about ¼ of mixture and drink it 3 times a day. Apart from these breathing exercises, Meditation, Physical activity in the morning can help a person suffering from depression.
- The paste prepared in cold water is beneficial to reduce burning sensation.
- In excessive sweating Jatamansi Powder is very effective when used as deodorant.
- In skin infections which are associated with burning sensation the decoction of Jatamansi Powder is poured frequently on the affected area. It gives good result.
Note: Color, Taste, Aroma of the product may change from batch to batch.
Other Uncommon Names of This Herb: Bhuutjata, Tapasvani, Hasva, Nasva, Spikenard, Achte Narde, Balacharea, Balchir, Bhut-jatt, Bhytajata, Duk, Jaramanshi, Jatamamshi, Jatamanchi, Jatamasi, Jatamavshi, Jatamavashi, Jatamsi, Jeta-manchi, Kuki-lipot, Nard, Nardin, Narde Indike, Nard Indien, Sumbula-theeb, Sunbuluttib, Tapaswini, Sambul Lateeb, Jatamansi, Bhuutjata, Tapasvani, Bal-chad, Hasva, Nasva.