OBESITY DUE TO HYPOTHYROID
- Medical Reasons: In some cases, medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome and Cushings syndrome can result in weight gain and eventually obesity. Medications like anti-depressants, corticosteroids and contraceptive pills can also lead to weight gain and obesity.
Remedies for Obesity
The main aim of any kind of treatment for obesity is to make a person lose excess body weight and improve his/her overall quality of life. A good combination of a well balanced diet and regular exercise is one of the best treatments for obesity. In addition, there are a number of home remedies for obesity that can help you lose weight in a safe and healthy manner. Some of these simple home remedies are as under:
- Drinking a glass of warm water mixed with lemon juice and honey first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This is one of the best ways to lose weight naturally.
- Similarly, drinking 2-3 cups of green tea or ginger tea everyday as this helps boost both digestion and metabolism, which in turn helps you lose weight faster.
- A good home remedy to control obesity is a mixture of a glass of warm water along with a paste of half teaspoon each of basil leaves and honey. Similarly, ginger paste mixed with honey is also a good treatment for obesity.
- One of the best home remedies to reduce weight naturally is eating raw tomatoes on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. This remedy is also beneficial for controlling cholesterol levels in the body.
- You can soak 2 tablespoons of horse gram overnight in a glass of water and drink this mixture first thing in the morning to lose weight naturally.
It should be pointed out that while some of these home remedies actually do help with weight loss, they are unlikely to be of any use if no changes are made to your diet and lifestyle.
Diet for Obesity
When it comes to treating and preventing obesity your food intake is most crucial, not just in terms of what you eat, but also in the context of meal timings and serving sizes. There are certain important things that you need to keep in mind while following a diet for obesity.
- Avoid nibbling between meals. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day have 5-6 smaller meals at intervals of 2-3 hours.
- Concentrate on eating high fiber carbohydrate based foods such as wholegrain bread, pastas and rice in the right quantity. Eat at least 5-6 portions of fresh vegetables and fruits everyday. You can eat low fat proteins, dairy products and milk in moderate proportions, and limit your intake of foods that are high in sugar, fats and salt.
- The daily diet should include green leafy vegetables, carrots and tomatoes that are low in calories but very high in essential vitamins and minerals that the body needs to function properly.
- Many obese people follow the lime juice diet to lose weight quickly. Fasting on this diet is quite beneficial in treating obesity. This diet not only helps you lose weight it also keeps your energy and appetite intact.
Suggestion for Obesity
In addition to following dietary guidelines for treating obesity, it is also important to exercise regularly to burn extra body fat. Simple exercises such a brisk walk early in the morning for at least 30 minutes can help burn a large amount of unwanted calories and help tone muscles in the body. Since every individuals body metabolism differ, it is best to seek advice from your doctor for advice on exercises depending on your current weight and overall health status. Physical activities that you can incorporate into your daily routine such as walking, swimming, jogging, climbing and cycling are not just convenient, but also effective ways to lose excess body weight. The intensity of these exercises can be built up gradually to help you lose more weight. In addition to these exercises, you can also try to take up yoga or light aerobics to deal with obesity.
- Thomas A. Wadden, Brian G. McGuckin, Rebecca A. Rothman, Stephanie L. Sargent, Lifestyle Modification in the Management of Obesity, Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Volume 7, Issue 4, MayJune 2003, Pages 452-463, ISSN 1091-255X, 10.1016/S1091-255X(03)00048-9.
- Angela Makris, Gary D. Foster, Dietary Approaches to the Treatment of Obesity, Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Volume 34, Issue 4, December 2011, Pages 813-827, ISSN 0193-953X, 10.1016/j.psc.2011.08.004.