Retinitis pigmentosa is a group of inherited or genetic disease. One can suffer from it if any their parent or family member. This disease causes retinal degeneration resulting in a couple of symptoms. The symptoms depend on whether rod or cone cells are affected first.
Causes of Retinitis Pigmentosa
This disease generally runs in families. The confirmed etiology of retinitis pigmentosa is unknown. The disease is generally seen in children whose parents are in blood relation. There occurs a mutation in the genetic structure of child because of one or another reason.
Symptoms of Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Night blindness
- Progressive loss of vision
- Floaters and flashes
- Reduced field vision
- Disturbed color vision
Do’s and Don’ts in Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Avoid contact with bright light
- Wear dark glasses during day time for outside activities
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Take vitamin A and C rich diet
- Do regular exercise ,yoga , pranayam for stress management
- Avoid use of screen of T.V ,computer , cell phones
Home Remedies for Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Take juice of amla daily
- Mix quantity of almond-100g, black pepper-10g, Ashwagandha choorna-100g , mulethi choorna-100g . Take 1 tsp twice daily with milk after food
- Put 1 drop of pure honey in eyes in morning
Ayurvedic treatment of Retinitis pigmentosa
According to ayurveda retinitis pigmentosa is a viatation of all three doshas in eye. Vitiated pitta reduces the vision vitiated kapha blocks the channel and viatated vata disturbs the neurological control. The treatment is done two stages
- Purification – Snehpan, Abhayang, Swedana, virechana, vasti, nasya etc procedures are done to detoxify the body. Once the stage of purification is reached then the rejunvenation treatments start.
- Rejuvenation– Rasayans medicines are given for longer duration to provide strength to retina and optic nerves.
These procedures are reapted at regular intervals. The duration can be once in six months or once in a year depending on the requirement or as directed by the ayurvedic eye specialist. All the above procedures are selected and medicines are chosen strictly according to the prakriti of patient and vikriti of disease. The purificatory treatments take about 3 weeks to complete the procedures.