A constant itching sensation near your groin, darkening and peeling of the skin in the groin region are all symptoms of a fungal infection known as jock itch. However, this condition can also develop because of the excessive sweating that you experience in your groin region. The first thing you can do to confirm the presence of a fungal infection is to check whether you have developed a ring shaped rash on your inner thighs, or in and around your groin area. If you do notice a ring shaped rash, in all probability it is a fungal infection you are dealing with. Jock itch is a common condition among people who tend to sweat a lot, as in your case. This is not a serious condition and can be treated effectively with the help of a few simple home remedies. It is also important to understand what causes a rash in the groin area so that it can be suitably treated. There are several symptoms of this condition that are quite easy to identify. Red, dry and itchy skin around the groin or dry skin in the groin area accompanied with a rash are the most common symptoms of jock itch. Itching around the groin area is generally most intense in the crease of skin between the leg and the genital area. A red rash on the groin area in a male child is another telltale symptom of jock itch and it will probably have a definite edge or border. Jock itch is more common in men than women and it can spread to other areas of the body and cause an infection in those areas. The rash can also spread to the thighs and this can cause severe discomfort as the rough material of your clothes can irritate the sensitive skin in this area. If you suffer from athletes foot or a similar fungal infection, it is possible for it to spread to other parts of your body and this would mean that it is possible to get jock itch if you have athletes foot as they both share the same causative fungus. A darkening of the skin near the genitals accompanied by itching near the private parts is often indicative of a yeast or fungal infection. Fungal infections like jock itch do not cause deep wounds or boils as they only affect the surface of the skin. However, a bacterial infection in this area can cause severe boils and if these boils rupture, it can result in a small wound. A wound in this area has a high risk of getting infected and this will cause pain and itching and rubbing the area will aggravate the problem. It is important to consult a doctor for a definite diagnosis as a fungal infection will not be affected by medications meant for a bacterial infection and vice versa.
Use an anti fungal soap while bathing. An anti fungal soap will help in eliminating any germs present on your skin. Dry your groin area well after a shower, you may make use of a blow dryer for the same, make sure you set it on a medium or cool temperature as a hot temperature will irritate your skin further. Do this on a regular basis to reduce itching around the groin area. Make sure that you use a medicated anti fungal soap as cosmetic fungal soaps generally contain additional chemical dyes and perfumes that can aggravate the condition. To increase the effectiveness of the anti fungal soap, you can use warm water while cleansing yourself. The fungus that causes jock itch feeds off natural oils on your skin and so using warm water will help to break down these oils so that they can be easily washed off along with the oils. You can also use this method to prevent as well as treat an itch around the private parts.
Dust your groin area with an anti fungal powder. This will make sure that your groin area remains dry and moisture free. The anti fungal powder will also help in absorbing the sweat that forms in this area, and eliminate the fungal growth. Avoid using perfumed powders or products around you groin, as the chemicals present in these products will only aggravate your condition.
- You can also apply an anti fungal cream after a shower in order to get rid of the infection. These creams are readily available over the counter at pharmacies and drug stores.
- For an effective home ointment, you can mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil and apply it on the affected area. Tea tree oil has effective anti fungal properties that will help you get rid of the infection. However, tea tree oil is very strong, thus carrier oils will help in diluting the effect of tea tree oil.Do not apply undiluted tea tree oil to the affected area directly as this will cause severe burning and discomfort. It is best to cleanse the area well with warm water before you apply the ointment as this will help to increase the effectiveness of the ointment and washing yourself first will help to prevent the infection from spreading. You can also add a drop of turmeric oil to the mixture as turmeric too has strong anti fungal properties. Turmeric oil can cause a permanent yellow staining on clothes and linen and so you will need to take appropriate steps to protect your clothes and linen.
- Garlic possesses effective anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. Increase your dietary intake of garlic for a speedy recovery. You may also apply a paste made from garlic on the affected area and wash it off within three minutes. Garlic is very strong and can burn your skin if left on for more than 5 minutes.
- Wear loose clothes and cotton undergarments. It will be very beneficial if you could change your undergarments every few hours in order to prevent moisture from accumulating in this region. If you work from home, you will be able to change your undergarments on a regular basis, but if you work in an office, you may not be able to do so. In such a case, you could use disposable panty liners as you will be able to dispose off the moistened liners throughout the day and replace them with dry ones. This will help to decrease the moisture levels in this area which will help to control the spread of the infection.
- Margosa leaves contain strong anti fungal properties and so it can be used to treat a genital fungal infection. You will need to wash the leaves thoroughly and then dry it in the shade for a day or two. You could then place a small saucepan on the stove for a few minutes so that becomes hot. As soon as the saucepan has heated sufficiently, you can take it off the stove and then place the dried Margosa leaves in it. The heat from the saucepan will help to get rid of any excess moisture. Do not place the leaves in the saucepan while heating it as the direct heat may destroy the anti fungal agents present in the leaves. Once the leaves are completely dry, you can grind them into a fine powder and put it in an old empty powder container so that it is easy to use the powder as and when it is needed. This method is especially useful in treating the problem of an itchy genital area in men.
- A cleansing mud pack is a rarely used but effective method to cleanse the entire affected area. You can mix a little fullers earth with a small amount of apple cider vinegar so that it forms a paste. Apply this paste to the entire affected area and wait for at least 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. The apple cider in this remedy for itching around the groin area will help to break down surface oils and allow them to be absorbed by the fullers earth which is a very absorbent type of clay. In addition to this, apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and this helps to retard the spread of the fungal infection.
- To prevent genital fungal infections, you should follow regular hygiene practices. You should wash yourself thoroughly with warm water and soap when you shower. You can also wash yourself in the morning as soon as you wake up and just before you go to bed. This will help to keep the area free of excessive natural oils which will help to prevent infections. Persistent itching around the groin area should be brought to the notice of your doctor who will be able to make and accurate diagnosis and offer treatment options.
Home Remedies and Natural Treatments for Yeast Infections
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
One of the best home remedies to treat a yeast infection is Apple Cider Vinegar. Here are some simple steps on how to use this amazing natural treatment:
Add 1 and a half cups of Apple Cider Vinegar into a bathtub filled with luke warm water, and then soak in it for about 20 minutes. This should be done once a day for the first 3 days of the infection.
After 3 days of soaking, the infection should be significantly less. At this point, start to drink a glass of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar once per day. This not only helps prevent yeast infections, but it also has numerous other health benefits such as improving skin health and boosting your metabolism.
While it is also possible to create a douche with Apple Cider Vinegar, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists suggests that women avoid douching completely. Douching has the potential to spread a yeast infection up through the cervix and into the uterus. For this reason, the simple soak mentioned above should be sufficient. NOTE: If you are pregnant, it is best to consult your doctor before using this treatment.
While cranberries are often used to treat bladder infections, they can also be highly effective for treating yeast infections by promoting healthy pH balance in the vagina. Try drinking a glass of unsweetened cranberry juice twice per day for up to 5 days to help fight off a fungal infection.
The active bacterial cultures in yogurt help to fight yeast, which is one of the main reasons why many people have found it to be effective at treating a yeast infection. Try to eat a cup of unsweetened probiotic yogurt once per day for a week.
If your infection persists for longer than a week, it is best to consult your doctor.
Many people have found that garlic is wonderful at fighting yeast infections. Crush 2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves into small pieces and quickly swallow the pieces with a glass of water. Repeat this for up to 5 days. If you don’t like the associated garlic breath, you can use garlic capsules instead which are available in most health food stores.