0 product(s) Rs. 0.00
Doing the splits refers to a position which is highly regarded as an indicator of flexibility. Splits can not only be used in gymnastics but also dance, in cheer-leading, figure skating, martial arts, synchronized swimming and more. This article provides stretches that help a person achieve the splits. This can be used for front splits or side splits, however each variant uses slightly different muscles.
The splits mainly works the lower body and stretches the hip adductors, hip abductors, gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, iliopsoas.
HOW TO DO THE SPLITS
- The muscles must be warm so stretching the legs for at least 15 minutes beforehand is advised, this can be done by standing stretches or sitting stretches.
- Lower yourself into a kneeling position with your back straight, stretch your right or left leg whichever is preferred out in front of you this leg should be straight and your back knee bent so that your shin is resting on the ground.
- Slowly lower yourself into the split but always make sure to only go as far as your body is comfortable with, if you feel any pain that is beyond flexing then stop
- Hands should be placed either side of the body ready for support.
- Slowly continue to lower towards the floor, when your legs form an angle of 180 degrees and your pelvis is resting on the ground you have successfully performed the splits, hold for 30 seconds.
- You probably wont be able to perform the splits on your first attempt but if you practice every day you will become more flexible, remember never to push past your maximum flexibility and do not bounce into the stretch.